Intervention Orders


Intervention Orders have become one of the most common reasons why a person may have to attend the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria.

There are two types of Intervention Orders (often shortened to IVOs) as follows:-


A Family Violence Intervention Order – this is a court order designed to protect a person, their children and their property from a family member, partner or ex-partner; or


A Personal Safety Intervention Order – this is a court order to protect a person, their children and their property from another person’s behavior when that other person is not a member of the family.

Get assistance with intervention orders

Intervention orders are often known as restraining orders or apprehended violence orders (AVOs) in other states and territories within Australia.

These orders can be instantly applied for and hard to remove once in place.  Our solicitors have expertise in assisting people to both apply for or respond to an Intervention Order brought in the Magistrates’ Court.

An Intervention Order is a powerful document that can be made without notice to the other party and it can provide a level of protection to an affected person or provide a serious level of restriction upon a respondent person.  If you wish to apply for an Intervention Order under the Family Violence Protection Act 2008 (Vic) or the Personal Safety Intervention Orders Act 2010 (Vic) please contact one of our lawyers who will be happy to give you a case assessment via telephone, or in person, whichever makes you more comfortable.

If you have had an Intervention Order served upon you with a Court date coming up, please contact one of our solicitors so they can assist you.  There could be ramifications to your employment, etc, depending on how you choose to respond to the Intervention Order.  Let us help you navigate the complex court processes in this jurisdiction.

Our Staff who can help you:

Get in touch

To discover how our team can help you, get in touch by booking an appointment online or calling our Warragul office on (03) 5623 5166 or our Drouin office on (03) 5625 2544.